Corona Virus (Covid 19)
Update on Corona Virus
Do you want to understand more about the Corona Virus? Dial 147 and speak to a qualified medical doctor for reliable information and advice for FREE!!! Service available 24/7, to Zimbabwean residents only.
What is a Corona Virus?
What is Covid-19?
By 30 March 2020, 775,540 cases had been recorded leading to 37,091deaths and 164,541 recoveries. Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- dry cough
- shortness of breadth
Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhoea.
Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel unwell.
Treatment and Recovery
- About 80% of the diagnosed cases recover from the disease without needing special treatment.
- Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing.
- Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness.
- People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.
How is COVID-19 Spread?
- Through respiratory droplets expelled by someone who is coughing or sneezing
- Through touching surfaces that have the virus then touching one’s mouth, nose or eyes
- Through contact with an infected animal
What Can I do to protect myself from contracting the disease?
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water. (Hand washing kills the virus)
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and Dial a Doc on 147
- Avoid traveling to places where COVID -19 cases have been reported – especially if you are an older person or have diabetes, heart or lung disease.
What Should I do if suspect that I may have COVID-19
- Don’t panic
- Dial 147 to speak to a doctor for FREE. Service available 24/7 to Zimbabwean residents only.